Get Newsletter
AlzRisk Cohort Detail

Cohort: Memory and Aging Project
Risk Factors:

Introduction to the Cohort
The Memory and Aging Project is a cohort study of aging and dementia based in Chicago, Illinois, USA. Approximately 1100 individuals free of dementia were enrolled between September 1997 and April 2005 from retirement communities in metropolitan Chicago. Participants receive annual clinical evaluations. At enrollment, members of this cohort had a mean age of 80.7 (SD = 7.0) and 72% of them were female.

Ethnicity Breakdown
Approximately 10% of participants are a racial or ethnic minority, while the remaining 90% are non-Hispanic Caucasian.

Diagnosis & Evaluation Methods
For a detailed description, see Bennett DA et al. 2005.

Bennett DA, Schneider JA, Buchman AS, Mendes de Leon C, Bienias JL, Wilson RS. The Rush Memory and Aging Project: study design and baseline characteristics of the study cohort. Neuroepidemiology 2005;25(4):163-75. Epub 2005 Aug 15.

Bennett DA, Schneider JA, Buchman AS, Barnes LL, Boyle PA, Wilson RS. Overview and findings from the Rush Memory and Aging Project. Curr Alzheimer Res. 2012 Jul;9(6):646-63.

Wilson RS, Scherr PA, Schneider JA, Tang Y, Bennett DA. Relation of cognitive activity to risk of developing Alzheimer disease. Neurology 2007 Nov 13;69(20);1911-20 Epub 2007 Jun 27.